We just released a hotfix update to the Viira Outlook Add-In. The latest version 5.5.2 contains important performance and stability enhancements and will be noticed particularly by those running MS Outlook 2013 and/or those who have a large amount (e.g. 1000+) tasks in their Viira database.
We recommend anyone using the add-in to upgrade to the latest version. You can download the latest version from the downloads page.
We are very excited to be announcing that the Viira Outlook Suite for BlackBerry 10, our first offering based on the Viira Cloud Sync Service is now available as a public beta! You can download the beta here.
The Viira Outlook Suite for BlackBerry 10 combines the Viira Outlook Plugin, Viira for BlackBerry 10 and our cloud sync service to provide the first feature-rich, end-to-end solution for Getting Things Done for BlackBerry 10 and Microsoft Outlook.
A due caution: this is beta software so please proceed to download and install it only if you are comfortable with running beta software on your computer and mobile devices. As with all beta software, there may be defects, glitches etc.
We want to thank in advance to everyone who will be participating in the beta program and helping us make the Viira Cloud Sync better for everyone!
The Viira Outlook Suite 2.1 is now available for download. The goal of this release is to provide support for more advanced aspects of GTD and personal organization like multiple contexts, next actions and an intuitive dashboard as well as to further refine the Outlook plugin to make it more intuitive, smart and effective.
We would have liked to make this release available earlier however intense work on our upcoming cloud sync service prevented us from doing so. To all of you counting on the Viira Outlook Suite in your day-to-day life and eagerly waiting for this update , thank you for your patience!
Without further ado, here is what’s new in version 2.1 of the Viira Outlook Suite:
- Next Actions View. Next Actions are a core concept in Getting Things Done and you can now manage those with ease with the Viira Outlook Suite. The new Next Actions view (available on both the BlackBerry client and the Outlook Plugin) displays all tasks that have been marked as next actions. To help you focus on what is actionable first, next actions also appear specially marked and are automatically displayed at the top of any list.
- Multiple contexs. Any task can now be tagged with multiple contexts from both the BlackBerry client and the Outlook plugin. You can assign as many contexts as you want! This powerful feature will allow you to file and organize a task in multiple filing “buckets” and make it easier to find the task when it’s time to find the next action that needs to be completed.
- Dashboard. The new dashboard is your new organization control center and provides you with one-click access to the major areas from within the BlackBerry client. The dashboard is touch screen enabled making navigation on touchscreen models like the Bold 9900 or Torch 98xx series as easy as a tap on the screen.
- Hide Completed. Focus only on the things that are left uncompleted. Hide Completed is now available on both the Outlook plugin and the BlackBerry client.
- Enhanced Outlook plugin. We have made numerous improvements to the Outlook plugin to make it more intuitive, smarter and effective. We have added right-click menues to make performing common operations quicker and easier as well as improved the stability and overall performance.
You can download the latest version from the Viira Outlook Suite download page.
The Viira Outlook Suite 2.1 is a complimentary upgrade to all buyer of version 2.0. Buyers of the previous version of the Viira Outlook Suite or Viira (including older versions like the 2.0 and 3.0) are elligible to upgrade for a special low price.
Version 2.1 requires BlackBerry OS 5 or better and Microsoft Outlook 2003 or better.
We are very excited to share with you that our cloud sync service beta launch is just around the corner!
Months and months of work are starting to show some very promising results and the preliminary prototypes are looking good and holding up well under testing. If all goes well we will start rolling out the beta version of the service about a month or two from now - hopefully by the end of August/early September timeframe.
The goal of our cloud sync service is to enable a seamless, synchronized organizational experience across platforms so that you can access and interact with your GTD data with ease from all your devices. Each rich client, be it BlackBerry (Viira 4), Outlook, Android, Playbook, desktop, web and even iOS will provide the same capabilities, power and simplicity that you have grown accustomed to with Viira 4, and the cloud service will make sure you have uniform access to your data from wherever you are.
So if you haven’t done so already, make sure to sign up on our announcements form and we will let you know as soon as we start rolling out the sync service across the various platforms.
The launch of the sync service will be gradual. We will add platform support one by one, starting with BlackBerry, Outlook, Android and the Playbook (our current supported platforms) and continuing with a web client, a desktop client and iOS support over the coming months. It will be very exciting few months ahead and we look forward to bring you the most intuitive, powerful and cross-platform GTD experience out there!
We will also need the help of a lot of beta testers so if you would like to help and are comfortable with beta software please let us know either by dropping us a note at support _at_ kartamobile.com or by signing up on our announcements list.
Viira 4.0 is ready and available for download. We always strive to provide a more powerful, effective and intuitive experience for Getting Things Done and we believe that the latest release will help you take your personal productivity to the next level.
The main theme within this release is two-fold: richer integration with your native BlackBerry applications like Contacts, Memos and Messages as well as support for advanced aspects of Getting Things Done like Next Actions.
Without further ado, here is what’s new in Viira 4.0:
- Contact tasks. You can now organize your communications, tasks and commitments with your contacts - and add a touch of CRM to your GTD system. Creating a task based on a contact is easy - just select a contact in your Contacts application and select Create Viira Task from the menu. Contact tasks maintain a link to the original contact making it easy to call, email and follow-up.
- Next Actions View. Next Actions are a core concept in Getting Things Done and Viira helps you manage those with ease. The new Next Actions view displays all tasks that have been marked as next actions. To help you focus on what is actionable first, next actions also appear specially marked and are automatically displayed at the top of any list.
- Multiple contexs. Any Viira task can now be tagged with multiple contexts - as many as you want. This powerful feature will allow you to file and organize a task in multiple filing “buckets” and make it easier to find the task when it’s time to find the next action that needs to be completed.
- Memo tasks. Incorporate existing notes to your GTD system by creating tasks based on your notes and memos. Once created, a memo task will hold a link to the original memo making it easy to view it by clicking on View Memo.
- Dashboard. The Viira dashboard is your new organization control center and provides you with one-click access to the major areas within Viira.
- Email Tasks integration. Email tasks created with Viira 4 maintain a link to the original email making it easy to view the email as well as to reply and forward it.
- Two-way task sync. Viira now syncs with your native Tasks app: every task created in Viira gets added to your native tasks and any task entered in your Tasks app is added to your Viira In-Basket for further assignment. You can now sync your tasks to any cloud sync provider such as Google Tasks.
- Data export/import to/from SD Card. We have made it easier to backup your Viira data or move it to a new or replacement BlackBerry device. Starting with Viira 4 you can importa and export all your Viira data to and from your SD Card. The new feature is accessible from the Settings screen.
- And more! We have added a number of other productivity and convenience enhancements. For example, completed tasks now automatically get moved at the bottom of any task lists while task marked as next actions always go to the top.
As always, Viira 4 comes with a free trial so download the free trial and see for yourself what you can accomplish with Viira now! You can also download Viira Over-The-Air by pointing your BlackBerry’s browser to our mobile site www.kartamobile.com/bb.
Viira 4 is supported on BlackBerry OS 5 or better and buyers of older version can upgrade for a special low price.
Note to App World buyers: in order to take advantage of our special upgrade pricing you must register with the same email as App World.
Viira Outlook Suite Buyers
[UPDATE] For those of you currently using the Viira Outlook Suite, version 2.0 of the BlackBerry client already contains most of the new features introduced in Viira 4, such as contact tasks, memo tasks, email integration, two-way task sync, etc. So you don’t need to upgrade.
The remaining new features in Viira 4 like the dashboard and Next Actions view will be added to the BlackBerry client in version 2.1 which will be a complimentary upgrade to all buyers of the 2.0.
Quick Launch Buttons
The quickest way to launch the Viira Outlook Plugin is by clicking on the green checkmark button that you will see in your Outlook toolbar after installing the Outlook plugin. This will launch the plugin in a separate window that you can then minimize or keep open at all times. Clicking on the green checkmark with a red ‘+’ sign will open the New Task form so you can quickly enter a new task. The quick launch and quick add buttons are available in any area of Outlook, including Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Notes.
Things work slightly different in Outlook 2010 where you will see the Viira Outlook Plugin quick launch and quick add buttons appear in the Add-Ins tab.
You can also start The Viira Outlook plugin embedded mode. In embedded mode, the Outlook plugin will stay embedded inside Outlook. To do this open the “Tasks” view in Outlook (Go->Tasks) then click on the area saying “Folder View” in the center-left of your screen (see image below). You will see an option for the Viira Outlook Suite below - click on it and the Outlook plugin will launch inside Outlook.
In our ongoing effort to continuously enhance the Viira Outlook Suite and solidify its position as the ultimate GTD solution for Outlook and BlackBerry, we have released another update to both the Outlook plugin and BlackBerry client.
Following up from the previous update, the new version 0.9.8 adds a few new capabilities to help you get things done:
- Delegate. You can now delegate projects and contexts from the Outlook plugin as well as the BlackBerry client. Simply select “Delegate” from the BlackBerry context menu as well as from the “More Options” dropdown meny in the Outlook plugin.
- Support for MS Outlook 2003. We are constantly striving to make the Viira Outlook Suite available on as many configurations as possible, and are happy to report that Outlook 2003 is now officially supported.
- Feedback. We love hearing from you and your feedback is crucial in helping us decide what to build next. The Outlook plugin now offers a convenient way for you to send us your thoughts and suggestions for improvement - directly from the Viira Outlook Suite.
You can download the latest version of the Outlook plugin from the Viira Outlook Suite beta page, and you can grab the updated BlackBerry client by pointing your BlackBerry’s browser to www.kartamobile.com/bb/outlook.php
Just a quick note to let you know that we have released an update to the Viira Outlook Suite.
The newly released beta version 0.9.7 contains several improvement and additions to both the Outlook plugin and the BlackBerry client such as enhanced stability, support for OS 4.5 and the new Refresh button.
Download the Viira Outlook Suite Beta
Here is what is new in the Viira Outlook Suite Beta 0.9.7:
- Stability improvments. We have made the Viira Outlook Suite more robust to eliminate Outlook error popups.
- Refresh. Particularly useful in a BES+Exchange setup, the new Refresh button in the Outlook plugin lets you quickly reload all data and display any new tasks, projects or contexts that have been pushed over-the-air from the Viira Outlook Suite BlackBerry client.
- Support for OS 4.5. We heard from a few of you still using (and loving) your trusted 8800- and 8300-series devices. So we pulled a few tricks and made the Viira Outlook Suite BlackBerry client work on OS 4.5.
- Fixes to day tasks. We fixed an issue which prevented day tasks from synchronizing properly in the case where BES, Exchange or Outlook use non-default locale settings.
- Delete All Completed. You can now delete all completed tasks from the Outlook plugin by selecting “Delete All Completed” available through the “More Options” menu.
- The Viira Log. The Viira Outlook Suite plugin now has a log screen (available from the new “More Options” button) which traps all abnormal events for easy reporting back to our support team.
Download the Viira Outlook Suite Beta
Thank you again for participating in our Beta program!
If you’re already using Getting Things Done with Viira on your BlackBerry, you’re well on your way to living a more organized, productive life. But if you still have lingering questions on how best to use GTD in certain situations, there are plenty of places to go online to get help.
We’ve compiled a list of the Internet’s leading authorities on Getting Things Done. From tips and tricks, to words of wisdom from David Allen himself, you’re sure to find the info you need in one of the links below.
- Otherwise known as Mecca, DavidCo is the official website of the David Allen Company. Find information on all Allen’s books, upcoming appearances and more.
- GTD Times is a division of David Allen’s network. The self-described ‘hub of all things GTD,’ this site includes a blog, newsletter signup, and links to many more GTD resources.
- Another part of David Allen’s rapidly growing empire, GTD Connect is a subscription service that puts Getting Things Done practitioners in touch with each other and allows users to participate in online classes.
- Visit the official Facebook fan page of Getting Things Done to connect with other like-minded productivity fans on this popular social network.
- Join the official LinkedIn page for GTD Enthusiasts. Open to everyone, it’s a fantastic networking group to share GTD tips and tricks. David Allen and his staff are said to stop by occasionally.
- The official YouTube page for Getting Things Done ihas informative videos from David Allen and others explaining how GTD works for them.
- Follow David Allen on Twitter for daily musings from this famous productivity guru.
- You’ve probably read all of Allen’s books cover-to-cover, but if you happen to be missing one, head over to Amazon.com’s David Allen page and complete your collection.
- Run by Merlin Mann, creator of the Hipster PDA, 43Folders.com discusses productivity, taking several cues from GTD.
- Getting Things Done is a popular topic on Lifehacker.com, a blog that offers tricks and shortcuts to living life effectively. Search the #GTD and #gettingthingsdone tags to see all the posts.
- Not to be confused with Lifehacker, Stepcase Lifehack also focuses on productivity and often mentions Getting Things Done.
- Getting Finances Done is a blog that preaches personal financial control, using many of the GTD principles.
- Written by a GTD enthusiast, the Did I Get Things Done blog has multiple updates per week on productivity and motivation.
- The official Wikipedia page for Getting Things Done gives a great overview on the productivity system when you need a quick refresher.
Finally, if you’re like us and read everything you can find on David Allen and GTD, here are links to a few prominent news articles that discuss the productivity phenomenon.
Happy reading, and be sure to bookmark KartaMobile
for all the news on Viira and for tips and tricks on using Getting Things Done
with your BlackBerry.
Ever since we launched Viira 1.0, one of the most frequent comments that we received was “Great app! Now, how do I make it work with Outlook?”. Understandably, many of you are relying on MS Outlook for implementing Getting Things Done, and a comprehensive solution that transcends the boundaries of a BlackBerry device is clearly called for.
You requested it, and we listened. Over the last little while we have been hard at work on a combined BlackBerry-Outlook solution called The Viira Outlook Suite. In fact, it is almost ready for a beta launch!
At this point I would like to tell you more about what it will do, as well as give you a glimpse of how it will take your personal productivity and GTD workflows to a whole new level. If you are interested in what a BlackBerry-Outlook GTD solution has to offer you can sign up for the Viira Outlook Suite updates - and maybe even help us a little by volunteering for our beta program.
Here is a summary of what our the Viira Outlook Suite will look like:
- BlackBerry *and* Outlook. The Viira Outlook Suite will contain both a BlackBerry app (Viira) and an extension to your Outlook. The extension (called plugin) will make it possible for you to do all the things you are used to doing with Viira inside your Outlook.
- Viira 2 functionality inside Outlook. The Viira Outlook plugin will provide the same features inside Outlook that Viira 2 currently offers, including projects, contexts and next actions.
- Full data upgrade path from Viira 2. The Viira Outlook Suite will import all data from Viira 2 and people choosing to continue with the Viira Outlook Suite can do so effortlessly.
- Full purchase credit. Buyers of the full version of Viira 2 will get full credit ($29.99) towards the purchase price of the Viira Outlook Suite. We haven’t decided on pricing yet, but if the Viira Outlook Suite is say $29.99, then buyers of Viira 2 will get it for free. If the Outlook Suite is $39.99, buyers of Viira will be able to get it for $10.00, etc. So if you are interested in our Viira Outlook Suite and are also considering buying Viira 2, you might as well make your purchase now and enjoy Viira for longer.
- Same emphasis on GTD. Our Viira Outlook Suite will stay true to the principles of Getting Things Done, simplicity and ease of use.
So put down your name name and email address on our sign-up form and we will let you know as soon as the Viira Outlook Suite is available and ready for download. We all look forward to taking your productivity habbits and GTD workflows to a whole new level.